CBD skincare is really hot right now. Companies are creating all kinds of products to give people the chance to take advantage of CBD for the skin. This includes everything from makeup to face masks to CBD lotion.
But did you know that you know that many of these things you can make yourself, with a few ingredients, in your own kitchen.
We’ve covered bath bombs before (you can find that recipe here), as well as beard balm for the gents. We’ve even done 3 different CBD face masks. Now it’s time to tackle CBD lotion.
A Few Simple Ingredients = The Perfect CBD Lotion
Just a few simple ingredients and you’re on your way to soft, supple skin!
- ½ cup shea butter or cocoa butter
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup aloe vera gel
- 2 tsp CBD oil
Now, this on it’s own will make a really nice CBD lotion. It will smell good all on its own, and last a month or more in the fridge in an airtight container.
That said, you can make the smell your own and extend the shelf life with these two additional ingredients:
- A few drops of essential oil
- 1/2 tsp vitamin E
For the essential oils, these are some of our favorite options:
- Peppermint or eucalyptus oil for stress relief
- Lavender for sleep and for calming
- Citrus (orange, lemon, or grapefruit) for a fruity, invigorating scent
To Make CBD Lotion
Once you have your ingredients, get ready to mix.
- Fill the bottom of a double boiler with an inch or two of water. Don’t have a double boiler? Don’t worry – place a heat-proof bowl on top of a regular pot with the water in that bottom bot.
- Bring water to a boil, then reduce heat to low-medium.
- Add the shea butter and coconut oil to the top of the double boiler, then stir until it is melted and there are no lumps.
- Remove from the heat and gather any separated oils from the top. Toss em.
- Let this mixture cool on the counter for about an hour. Then add your aloe, CBD, and essential oils if you are using them.
- Blend together using a blender or hand mixer. This will make sure everything is mixed well and it will give you that lotion-like consistency.
As mentioned, this will last a month or more in the fridge in an airtight container.
A Note on CBD Dosage
Now, the recipe calls for 2 tsp of CBD, but that’s just a guide to get you started. You can always add more if you want.
Remember, your skin is your largest organ, and it’s full of endocannabinoid receptors – that’s why CBD lotion is so popular. But you want to make sure your cream is strong enough to do what you want it to.
The strength of your CBD lotion will depend on the initial concentration of the CBD oil you’re using. For best results, you want to use a higher concentration – 1000mg strength for example – rather than a low concentration. That way, you’ll get the benefits as the lotion is absorbed into your skin!