This year is unlike any other as far as holiday celebrations. Thanks a lot Covid. And while regular holiday stress might be a fixture for most thanks to the hustle and bustle of the season, this year the limitations are causing those levels to skyrocket for many.
As we try our best to navigate the season amidst virtual get-togethers, socially distanced visits, and seriously limited shopping options, it’s crucial to take care of yourself, both now, and after the holidays start to wind down.
How to Combat Holiday Stress Naturally
If you’re feeling a little extra holiday stress (or a lot), for whatever reason, these are simple stress relieving tips that cost very little (or nothing at all) and can seriously kick anxiety to the curb.
Exercise is honestly one of the best ways to combat stress naturally. Research shows that regular exercise protects against the negative emotional consequences of stress.
What’s really cool is that is research tells us it has a lot to do with your endocannabinoid system – the system that runs all though your body, bringing about balance, or homeostasis. It’s the system within which CBD oil goes to work. Exercise activates the endocannabinoid system, which the leads to reduced stress and the ability to better manage it.
The nice thing is, exercise is something we can all do right now despite Covid-19 restrictions, and in many cases it can be done with family and friends with proper social distancing. Take a walk in the woods and catch up.
2. Soak the Stress Away
There’s a reason a bubble bath is the ultimate in relaxation after a tough day. The hot water soothes away tension and you can sit back and relax.
This isn’t just all in your head. When you sit in a hot bath, your skin releases endorphins in response to the soothing warm water. The hot water can be both therapeutic and reinvigorating because blood flow increases to the skin.
Adding some lavender essential oil can help if the stress is having an impact on your sleep, so add a few drops.
Yoga is great for your physical health, but there are also tons of mental health benefits of yoga. One of the best is the stress relief. By bringing about a state of relaxation, yoga can help you recenter yourself, helping you maintain positive mental well-being. It can also help with concentration and focus.
And of course pair your yoga with some CBD:
- Tinctures: Take your CBD oil tincture about 30 minutes before hitting the mat. Breathe deep and let it flow through your endocannabinoid system.
- Topicals: Apply a CBD salve after you’re finished. Gently massage it into your muscles to work out any residual tightness or tension.
4. Eat These Foods!
Feeding your endocannabinoid system with some of these foods is a great way to help bring the body back to centre, helping combat the impacts of stress and boosting energy.
- Omega-3 fatty acids increase the synthesis of endocannabinoids and upregulate both CB1 and CB2 receptors
- Dark chocolate contains one of the main cannabinoids – anandamide – and it can help reduce stress, fight oxidative stress, and lower blood pressure.
- That daily cup of Joe is a good way to stimulate and support your endocannabinoid system by enhancing the activation of CB1 receptors.
5. Turn to Tea
There are several herbal teas that people swear by for calming the mind and relieving stress.
Pair CBD with:
- Valerian root tea for sleep
- Chamomile tea for calming
- Peppermint tea for a headache
To make CBD tea, brew your water and let your tea steep for a few minutes. Then, add your preferred dose of CBD oil. You can also add some honey for a bit of natural sweetness.